simple-authentication.lua gives "Invalid request"

Jeremy Epstein jazepstein at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 04:44:32 CEST 2014

For now, I've created a separate nginx virtualhost for each repo, and
I've configured HTTP basic authentication in each virtualhost.

I didn't think that this was possible before - but then I realised
that it's actually quite easy, all I needed to do was to create a
cgitrc file for each repo (rather than just having the global
/etc/cgitrc), and then in the nginx virtualhost config, add this:

fastcgi_param   CGIT_CONFIG     /path/to/repo_foo/cgitrc;

(to set the CGIT_CONFIG environment variable per vhost).

This is not as ideal as actually getting the cgit authentication
feature working - but it achieves the same end result (i.e. per-repo
access control).

So, if anyone else is in the same boat, and if there have still been
no solutions suggested for the problem, you might want to consider
taking my approach too.

Cheers,
Jeremy.