passmenu: optionally type username as well

Matthew Snider matt.snider at alum.utoronto.ca
Sun Jul 23 16:03:00 CEST 2017

Hi!

I've just recently started using pass and more specifically passmenu, and am very pleased with it :-)

The main feature I found that was immediately missing when switching over from keepassx, is the ability to autotype a username/password combination. I read through the mailing list archives and found this feature was already attempted here: https://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/password-store/2015-December/001834.html<https://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/password-store/2015-December/001834.html>

It doesn't seem like there was any response to this, but arbitrarily taking the second line doesn't seem ideal to me. I think my implementation is an improvement, because it leverages the suggested file format of "key: value" pairs after the first line.

In the included patch you will see that I've just added a --userfield flag which can be used as follows:

passmenu --type --userfield username [dmenu arguments...]

This corresponds to files which look like:

passw0rd

username: matt.snider

I personally use this by binding $mod+p to the regular passmenu invocation, and $mod+Shift+p to the invocation using --type and --userfield. This has been working very well for me.

Please let me know what you think and if you have some feedback.

Best,

Matt