Wg source address is too sticky for multihomed systems aka multiple endpoints redux

John Lauro johnalauro at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 13:47:11 UTC 2023

I have a lots of multihomed routers setup for vpn site to site and
running bgp over the vpn mesh.

First, make sure these are all 0 as are multihomed.
cat $( find /proc/sys/net/ipv4 -name rp_filter )

The other thing I do is I run a different wireguard interface and peer
on a different port and interface.

With bgp on top, one multihomed router to another multihomed router
just ends up being multiple links it can route over and let linux/bgp
decide which ones to use and automatically fail over if one path goes
down.

That said, I don't have any NAT and both ends have fixed IPs, although
they are multihomed.

Can you create a separate wireguard interface for each physical
interface (I suggest a different port too).  Separate wireguard
interfaces should keep WG from having issues, and of course disabling
rp_filter to keep linux from having issues.