Wireguard Windows keeps using lower priority interface (wifi) when a higher priority interface (wired) becomes available

Dave Mifsud dave.mifsud at um.edu.mt
Thu Oct 19 07:44:14 UTC 2023

We are implementing Wireguard as a VPN solution for our network on
Windows 10/11 clients. One issue we have encountered is that Wireguard
VPN traffic keeps transiting the wifi interface, even when wired
becomes available.

We have tested the same Windows device without Wireguard, and when the
wired connection becomes available, traffic switches to the wired
connection.

Unfortunately users do not realise this, and at times are located in
an area where wifi connectivity is not optimal.

Has anyone come across this issue? Can anything be done, apart from
creating a trigger in windows such that whenever a wired connection
becomes available Wireguard is restarted? We would like to avoid this,
as the solution seems too drastic.

Dave