Incorrect default install path for Apache on Mac

Lars Hjemli hjemli at gmail.com
Tue May 31 00:54:34 CEST 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 07:48, Alex Smith <alex.smith.93 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2011-05-23, at 8:01 PM, Lars Hjemli wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 01:30, Alex Smith <alex.smith.93 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Mac install goes more like this however, it won't install to the default htdocs dir on a mac:
>>> make get-git
>>> make NEEDS_LIBICONV=YesPlease get-git
>>> sudo make NEEDS_LIBICONV=YesPlease install
>>
>> sligthly off-topic:
>> * the get-git target is only needed once (to download the sources for libgit.a)
>> * if you've done 'git submodule init; git submodule update', there's
>> no need to 'make get-git' at all
>> * specifying NEEDS_LIBICONV is also only needed once (during building,
>> not install)
>>

> I made a typo earlier but not where you would think. From experience getting this to compile, it's necessary for me to compile like:
>
> # Compile just cgit (if you already have git)
> make NEEDS_LIBICONV=YesPlease
> # Download/compile git and compile cgit
> make NEEDS_LIBICONV=YesPlease get-git
> # Do the install:
> sudo make NEEDS_LIBICONV=YesPlease install
>
> If you don't include the NEEDS_LIBICONV=YesPlease to the install phase I get:
> sudo make install
>    SUBDIR git
>    SUBDIR git
>    CC cgit
> Undefined symbols:

Yeah, this is because you downloaded a new snapshot of the git
sourcecode in step 2 above, which triggers a rebuild of the cgit
binary during install.

The build-procedure should be like this:
1) make get-git (but only if you build from a cgit tarball - see
README for more info)
2) make (add any special options here or in cgit.conf)
3) make test (runs the selftests, optional)
4) make install

> I looked at the makefile and in order for it to "comply" with where to put it, you'd need patience and support spaces in directory paths. It unknowingly fails when presented with spaces for libdir:
>
> Proper directories for these files are:
> CGIT_SCRIPT_PATH=/Library/WebServer/Documents/cgit
> libdir=/Library/Application\ Support
> docdir=/Library/Documentation/Applications/cgit
>
> I think this should comply with standards in the Darwin world.

Thanks. A patch to the Makefile with a darwin-specific section
containing your findings would be much appreciated.

--
larsh