cgi programming

Jamie Couture jamie.couture at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 15:40:59 CET 2012

If you haven't done so already, I would suggest reading and understanding
more about the application layer, http protocol [1]. Either in dry, RFC
form, or perhaps reading Writing Apache Modules [2], though your milage may
vary.

Not to force you to use apache, there are alternatives - choose one and
stick with it; however, the point is to understand http, and what you need
to do for your program to _work_ [3].  Since you're looking to work on an
embedded device you'll probably be looking into something else as a server.

Your frontend - web GUI - is secondary.  Writing html can be done outside
of your application, as a mock document to get you started and quickly
build the look and feel you want.  You later integrate that mock into your
actual CGI program.

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2616
[2] http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9781565925670.do
[3] http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/cgi.html#writing

Other people may have better resources to get you started, but that is
where I would start - thinking back to my student days.