Spam on the mailingslist

Eric Wong normalperson at yhbt.net
Sat Mar 17 21:01:17 CET 2012

Lukas Fleischer <cgit at cryptocrack.de> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 07:06:48PM +0100, Mariusz Wojcik wrote:
> >  >  This starts to get pretty annoying... About 25% of all mail on this
> >  >  mailing list is spam.
> >
> > Yes, they're really annoying for the archieve. The easiest solvation
> > would be move to Google Groups. It's quite nice and you have as the
> > same feature as a mailingslist. The other solvation would be you
> > have to register to the mailingslist to post on it.

NACK on Google Groups.  Their anti-spam measures are weak and
just recently I've heard of issues with their moderation notifications
not getting through (on the perlbal/mogilefs groups), so new posters
got silently ignored for a long time.

I also dislike user tracking/profiling done by Google, and it's
gotten worse now they're doing G+.

> Disabling posting for non-subscribers only shouldn't be too hard. Also,
> there should be some additional anti-spam measures, such as
> SpamAssassin.

Subscribers-only tends to isolate developers from users that
_occassionally_ find issues.  The git-ML (and LKML) culture favors lists
that allow unsubscribed users to post, and I think this does a lot to
encourage users to get involved.

SpamAssassin is great.  I use it on my own server, so it manages to
catch much of the spam that comes to this list.  Some spam will always
get through, but that's email.