Syntax highlighting broken.

Jason A. Smith smithj4 at bnl.gov
Wed Aug 14 13:47:55 CEST 2013

On Wed, 2013-08-14 at 12:53 +0200, Lukas Fleischer wrote:
> As you already said, it is an *example* script. It even includes a
> comment mentioning that the CSS must be adapted when using that script:
>
>     # Note: the highlight command (http://www.andre-simon.de/) uses css for syntax
>     # highlighting, so you'll probably want something like the following included
>     # in your css file (generated by highlight 2.4.8 and adapted for cgit):
>     #
>     # table.blob .num  { color:#2928ff; }
>     # table.blob .esc  { color:#ff00ff; }
>     # table.blob .str  { color:#ff0000; }
>     # table.blob .dstr { color:#818100; }
>     # table.blob .slc  { color:#838183; font-style:italic; }
>     # table.blob .com  { color:#838183; font-style:italic; }
>     # table.blob .dir  { color:#008200; }
>     # table.blob .sym  { color:#000000; }
>     # table.blob .kwa  { color:#000000; font-weight:bold; }
>     # table.blob .kwb  { color:#830000; }
>     # table.blob .kwc  { color:#000000; font-weight:bold; }
>     # table.blob .kwd  { color:#010181; }
>
> I don't know what all the fuss is about.

The fuss is because it was removed which broke what is currently the
only was to achieve syntax highlighting for some. An easy way to restore
the old working behavior would be preferable, without having to manually
hack the default installed css. Manually editing a non-config file
installed by a package is not the best way to go about doing things.
Another config option, which could be used to select an additional css
to be used for syntax highlighting would be more useful, and could be
used by any of the highlighting methods now supported.

> What we could do is add the style sheet back as a separate file and add
> a commented out "@import" of that file to the main CSS. This might make
> it a bit more convenient for administrators to reintroduce the colors. I
> don't think it is absolutely needed, though, so this gets a +/-0 from
> me.

Still would require manually hacking a non-config file from an installed
rpm package for us. The next time this package gets updated, it is
broken again unless we remember to hack the file after the package is
updated.