RFE: download patch between arbitrary revisions

John Keeping john at keeping.me.uk
Sun Jun 16 12:11:22 CEST 2013

On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 09:56:55AM +0200, Lukas Fleischer wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 11:21:26PM +0100, John Keeping wrote:

> > [...]
> >
> > So:
> >
> >     /patch/?id=v1.8.3.1&id2=v1.8.3
> >
> > generates something like "git format-patch v1.8.3..v1.8.3.1".  And
> >
> >     /rawdiff/?id=v1.8.3.1&id2=v1.8.3
> >
> > generates the diff with no HTML around it.
> >
> > The latter could be a query parameter instead ("raw=1"?).  Having not
> > investigated the impact on the code, I have no preference for one over
> > the other.
>
> Sounds good to me either way. Jason?
>
> Also, I just wondered whether this could be used to DoS servers when
> requesting a series of patches for a huge range of revisions... Maybe
> there should be some kind of limit?

The "diff" version costs about the same regardless of how many revisions
are between the endpoints - it's purely a function of the size of the
tree (and the number of changed files which probably is affected by how
far apart the commits are, but it's still bounded by the size of the
tree).

I can see it potentially being a problem in the "format-patch" case, so
perhaps we want to add a "max-patches-per-request" variable if we do
implement that.