Fwd: Re: RESEND: syntax-highlighting.py

Stefan Tatschner stefan at sevenbyte.org
Wed Jan 8 17:22:08 CET 2014

Am 08.01.2014 16:19, schrieb Jason A. Donenfeld:
> Okay reading this closer, it seems what the one in-tree could benefit from is:
>
> - Expanded list of filename mappings, made more generic than what you
> have in your script, but basically the same idea. -- { "pkgbuild":
> "bashlexer", "cmakelists.txt", "cmakelexer" }. Is there a way to do
> this that ties directly into pygment's guess_lexer_for_filename? If
> not, could you submit a patch upstream?

I have looked in pygment's sourcecode and found this [0]. I just have to
add the filenames in the lexer definitions. I will try to create an
upstream pull request. The only problem is that the latest release of
pygments is almost 1 year old. It think it will take a while until the
changes get merged...

As a workaround we could create such a dict as you suggested and check
if the filenames match.

> - We should make use of guess_lexer as you do, but perhaps not only if
> the shebang is present

At first I run guess_lexer_for_filename (line 26). It checks the content
of the file and also looks at the filename. After that I check if there
is a shebang because the script has already looked at the content with
guess_lexer_for_filename. I have tested this without the shebang
detection and especially with plaintext files it often returns crap...

> Would love for a patch against the in-tree version that gets it up to
> date like this.

:-)
It will take a few days because currently I have exams... Should I work
on the master branch or something else?

What do you want to de with the CSS definitions? Just put them into the
default cgit CSS file or maybe include it seperately?

Stefan

Links:
[0]:
https://bitbucket.org/birkenfeld/pygments-main/src/9246d7a47a42e7920c0ecee4d4946b982e9e2430/pygments/lexers/_mapping.py?at=default