RFE: .so filters

Florian Pritz bluewind at xinu.at
Fri Jan 10 21:56:32 CET 2014

On 10.01.2014 21:36, John Keeping wrote:
>> Looks rather easy to slurp stdin (from http://www.lua.org/pil/21.1.html):
>
> Interesting.  But I think it will be simpler from both side if the
> interface is just a function call

source_filter could potentially get a rather long input and might not
need it all at once. If it can processes input line by line or similar
it makes sense to support that by writing chunks rather than buffering
everything.

I believe we currently already buffer the file (ui-tree.c print_object()
buf variable) before calling the source_filter, but keeping the
possibility to change that later is good.

Also slurping is not really that much harder than writing the function
header so I don't see a benefit in adding buffering to the cgit code.

Last but not least, it keeps the interface between "exec" and "lua"
filters the same or at least rather similar. If you can call a lua
script as if it was execed (setting argv) that would make the handler
totally transparent, but faster.

http://www.lua.org/pil/25.2.html