Displaying latest commit message instead of description on repository list

Jamie Couture jamie.couture at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 18:58:44 CEST 2014

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 10:35:12AM -0400, Nik Nyby wrote:
> I have cgit set up with my list of a bunch of different projects, and
> none of those repos have a very descriptive "description" file. I
> thought it would be nice to display each repository's latest commit line
> instead of "Unnamed repository; edit this file 'description' to name the
> repository." in the Description column of this table.

What is your setup like?  How are you listing the projects?

I normally use gitolite, which is great for managing stuff like
that:

repo project-a
    config gitweb.owner         = "A U Thor author at example.com"
    config gitweb.description   = "My project"

However, assuming you're using gitolite and you allow user created
repositories, or wild repositories [1], you would need to have some
external script.  Perhaps something that will map known repo names
to a list of descriptions.  It could conceivably be run with some
POST_CREATE trigger [2].

[1] http://gitolite.com/gitolite/wild.html
[2] http://gitolite.com/gitolite/triggers.html