[Idea] A local cgit configuration per project?

Vincent Férotin vincent.ferotin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 14:57:22 CEST 2015

Hi, cgit mailing-list!

As a newbie to cgit, I'm currently trying to configure it for a a
project which hosts some git repos.
It seems to me (please refute me if I'm wrong) that cgit takes its
configuration from a given hard-coded path, i.e. "/etc/cgitrc".
This mean that basically there should only be one instance of cgit per system.

I wonder if it is feasible that cgit would take its *main*
configuration from "/etc/cgitrc",
but also would override it from a *local* one, e.g. a given
configuration from a project
(typically per Apache virtual host)?

Perhaps this could be "easily" achieved either by wrapping cgit CGI in
an other dedicated script,
setting a project's environment, or by cgit searching for additional
config. pointed by an environment variable, or else through argument
on command-line?

If this is already achievable, could you please point me to some
related documentation?
Otherwise, what do you think about this idea?

-- Vincent Férotin