RFE: render MD/RST documents in tree view

John Keeping john at keeping.me.uk
Wed Aug 24 20:47:06 CEST 2016

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 07:19:20AM +0000, Juuso Lapinlampi wrote:
> source-filter is good enough? I don't want cgit to become a GitLab-ish
> platform with all this featuritis.

source-filter doesn't suppress the line numbers, which render as a
separate table cell, and it wraps the content in <pre></pre>.  I'm
guessing the intent here is to avoid that.

> Do one thing and do it well; leave Markdown rendering to a seperate
> program. Nobody can really even agree to how Markdown and its quirks
> should be rendered, so we have tens of variants. CommonMark is not
> stable yet.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that, just provide a way to replace
the entire page content with a rendered version (presumably via a new
filter).

I can't immediately think of a nice way to achieve this; I think there
are two possible interfaces:

a) We decide what to do based on the MIME type of the file, and then
   invoke render-filter (for lack of a better name) where relevant

b) We always try to render the file but the filter can exit immediately
   with an error in which case we carry on with the current code

In either case we then need to provide a way to switch back to the
current source view for the file.