why no process info when cloning

John Keeping john at keeping.me.uk
Tue Feb 23 10:45:05 CET 2016

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 03:28:39PM +0800, Jeffrey Zhang wrote:
> I set up a cgit server and used for mirror openstack repo[0]. I just use
> the cgit for http clone.
>
> But when cloning using the http url, there is no process bar.
>
> any reason/solution for this?

It's because CGit only supports the dumb HTTP protocol whereas GitHub
supports the smart protocol.  git-http-backend(1) describes how to set
up a webserver for to support the smart protocol.

[aside: given the inefficiency of the dumb HTTP protocol I wonder if we
should mark this features as deprecated in the CGit documentation, or at
least add a WARNING to it.]