why no process info when cloning

John Keeping john at keeping.me.uk
Tue Feb 23 15:42:45 CET 2016

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 03:38:26PM +0100, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 10:45 AM, John Keeping <john at keeping.me.uk> wrote:
> > It's because CGit only supports the dumb HTTP protocol whereas GitHub
> > supports the smart protocol.  git-http-backend(1) describes how to set
> > up a webserver for to support the smart protocol.
> >
> > [aside: given the inefficiency of the dumb HTTP protocol I wonder if we
> > should mark this features as deprecated in the CGit documentation, or at
> > least add a WARNING to it.]
>
> Rather than marking this as depreciated - this very useful feature of
> cgit - since we share source with git, wouldn't it be possible to
> integrate the smart protocol?

Most of the code is in http-backend.c which isn't included in libgit.a,
it's just used to build the standalone git-http-backend binary.

We could quite easily exec git-http-backend when required but that would
rely on a properly configured git installation and I know in the past
you have wanted to avoid that dependency.