Linking cgit with Lua using -Wl,-E

John Keeping john at keeping.me.uk
Sun Oct 23 17:55:39 CEST 2016

I assume it's possible to build a shared library; I get both shared and
static installed by my package manager.

It looks like there is some performance concern about using a shared
libary for Lua[1], but I doubt performance is critical for most uses
with CGit so I would recommend building and linking to the Lua shared
library if possible.

If you need to link to the static library, I think it will be safer to
use:

	-rdynamic -fvisibility=hidden

but that will still expose all of the symbols from libgit.a, which was
not designed to be used as a library by third-party code and thus does
not prefix its symbols, so you still have to be wary of symbol
collisions with other libraries.

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.lua.general/18519