renamed default branch, no "Idle" value on index at all

John Keeping john at keeping.me.uk
Fri Aug 21 18:01:20 CEST 2020

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 01:07:49PM +0200, François Kooman wrote:
> I switched the default branch from master to main in some of my
> repositories. However, it seems cgit does not consider this when
> determining "Idle" on the index page. It shows nothing in the column "Idle".
>
> The FAQ [1] has an entry about this, but I am not seeing what the FAQ
> describes...I modified the HEAD file in the repository on the server:
>
> # git symbolic-ref HEAD refs/heads/main
>
> Everything seems to work fine, cgit takes "main" as the default branch.
> It seems cgit is hard coded to only look at "master" to determine idle
> on the index?

It looks like the "guess default branch" logic isn't considered for the
index page.

If you set "repo.defbranch" in cgitrc (or via git config in the
repositories) then you can manually specify the default branch and that
will work everywhere.

Alternatively you can use a hook to update an agefile and that will be
read instead of the default branch.  This also allows setting the last
modified time to be the newest across a collection of branches.

I had a quick look at guessing the default branch (from HEAD) for the
repolist, but that's not simple because it requires initialising Git in
each repository (see cgit.c::guess_defbranch() which is used for repo
pages).

John