cgit 1.2.3: lighttpd 1.4.57, AlpineLinux [edge]: using cache breaks delivery

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Tue Dec 22 00:24:40 CET 2020

Steffen Nurpmeso wrote in
 <20201221222300.z9Vio%steffen at sdaoden.eu>:
 |Steffen Nurpmeso wrote in
 | <20201221193127.zbZeP%steffen at sdaoden.eu>:
 ||John Keeping wrote in
 || <X+DiDgGaPaynnocI at john.keeping.me.uk>:

 |||and this may be caused by sendfile(2) failing due to some difference in
 |||how the web server is setting up the output file descriptor.  You may
 |||want to rebuild CGit without HAVE_LINUX_SENDFILE and see if that works.
 |
 |So i build it with
 |  -       CGIT_CFLAGS += -DHAVE_LINUX_SENDFILE
 |  +       #CGIT_CFLAGS += -DHAVE_LINUX_SENDFILE
 |and
 |
 |  make NO_LUA=y NO_ICONV=y NO_GETTEXT=y NO_TCLTK=y NO_PERL=1 \
 |    NO_PYTHON=1 NO_SVN_TESTS=y NO_REGEX=NeedsStartEnd prefix=/usr
 |
 |and .. it works.
 |
 |Thank you, i will open an AlpineLinux bug report.  And lighttpd.

Did that.  Though redmine lighttpd threw me out after password
reset, i posted in #lighttpd irc.freenode.net a few minutes ago.
FreeBSD also has a sendfile by the way, had that already twenty
years ago, and worked great!  Slightly different semantics though.
But doable (by then).  The guys from nginx strive for tweaking the
last little thing out of that btw.  Just last week iirc they added
NUMA specific ioctls to be able to gain more locality.

I think i will go again soon, now that this is worked out :)
Thanks,
Ciao and greetings from Germany,

--steffen