git notes for the Linux kernel

John Keeping john at keeping.me.uk
Tue Oct 18 20:20:03 UTC 2022

On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 01:50:04PM +0200, Vegard Nossum wrote:
> I've improved the support for git notes in cgit, including the ability
> to load notes from a separate repository than the one you are viewing.
>
> My use case is using a separate repository of git notes for the Linux
> kernel to annotate commits with extra cross-referencing information such
> as e.g.:
>
> - lore links to patch submissions matching the patch,
> - references to subsequent fixes (if the current commit is buggy)
> - mitre links to CVEs
> - references to backports in stable/LTS

This sounds useful, but...

> My hope is that these notes can eventually be displayed on
> git.kernel.org -- at least, we've found the notes invaluable and a huge
> time saver in different types of kernel work. (I'm still in the process
> of working out how to release these notes and/or the scripts generating
> them, but that's a different topic.)
>
> I tried to submit the git.git patches upstream, but they were rejected
> by the maintainer for not being general enough:
> https://lore.kernel.org/git/20220802075401.2393-1-vegard.nossum@oracle.com/

... this likely blocks inclusion in CGit as I don't think there's any
desire to maintain a fork of git.git

Parts of this series look like they make sense regardless of the
separate repo option - patch 2 looks unrelated and the repo.notes_ref
config option is potentially useful to keep the CGit config separate
from gitconfig (although it should be "repo.notes-ref" for consistency
with other config keys).  Are you interested in splitting those parts
out?

Regards,
John