Downloading objects hangs up around 65kB

John Keeping john at keeping.me.uk
Sat Sep 17 16:07:59 UTC 2022

On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 10:55:39PM +0300, Valdis Vītoliņš wrote:
> Probably it is issue on 64-bit ARM architecture, because I tested that it
> works on x86_64 virtual machine.
>
> Some time ago (because I haven't used HTTPS protocol for repositories
> recently) downloading plain objects/blobs hangs up around 65kB of data.
>
> You can test it with:
>
> wget -O "01_About.odp" -d
> "https://odo.lv/git/JTM/plain/doc/presentations/01_About.odp"
>
> It shows:
> Saving to: ‘01_About.odp’
>
> 01_About.odp                        8%[====>                           ]
> 63,64K  13,0KB/s    in 4,9s
>
> 2022-09-16 22:32:33 (13,0 KB/s) - Connection closed at byte 65169. Retrying.
> etc.

This seems very strange (it also happens with the .../tree/... pages
showing the hexdump file content).

My guess is that this is caused by the Apache configuration rather than
anything CGit is doing itself.

Have you tested running cgit outside Apache using something like:

	CGIT_CONFIG=/path/to/cgitrc \
	QUERY_STRING=url=JTM/plain/doc/presentations/01_About.odb \
	cgit

That should give some idea whether CGit itself is returning short data
or if the response is being truncated downstream.

Regards,
John