[pass] why copy to clipboard?

Antoine Beaupré anarcat at orangeseeds.org
Mon Dec 3 04:50:36 CET 2012

I use the commandline extensively, xterm in fact, most of the time.

This makes using pass a little bit ackward, because i can't copy paste
the password from pass -c to xterm, as xterm doesn't have a "paste"
functionality.

I would have expected the middle mouse button to "just work" and paste
the password, but unfortunately pass calls xclip with a special argument
that sends the data to the clipboard instead of the primary selection.

I had to re-read this text again to remember those confusing principles:

http://www.jwz.org/doc/x-cut-and-paste.html

It does seems to me that the "primary" selection is more appropriate, as
defined as "more ephemeral". In fact, you could even add to the message
printed the the password is copied that anyone can clear the password
From memory by selecting any area of text anywhere. :)

How does that sound? It is certainly annoying that I can't use pass and
xterm together... ;) Maybe sending to the clipboard should be optional?

A.

--
Sous un gouvernement qui emprisonne injustement, la place de l’homme
juste est aussi en prison.