[pass] why copy to clipboard?

Antoine Beaupré anarcat at orangeseeds.org
Wed Dec 5 22:46:40 CET 2012

On 2012-12-05, Brian Mattern wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Dec 2012, milki wrote:
>> Hm. Looking at some other password managers, I see them using xsel
>> instead of xclip. The default xsel also uses the primary clipboard
>> selection.
>
> Both xclip and xsel use the primary selection by default. pass
> explicitly chooses to use the clipboard:
>
> $ grep xclip password-store.sh
>   before="$(xclip -o -selection clipboard | base64)"
>     echo -n "$1" | xclip -selection clipboard
>         now="$(xclip -o -selection clipboard | base64)"
>             echo "$before" | base64 -d | xclip -selection clipboard
>
> This can easily be made configurable, e.g., with the attached patch.
> (just export PASSWORD_STORE_XCLIP_SELECTION=primary)
>
> Alternatively, we could add separate flags for "copy to primary" and
> "copy to clipboard".

i would have a flag instead. -p vs -c maybe?

since we output a message, we could tell people about those too.

i still think the primary should be the default, but i don't care enough
and since we need to pass a flag anyways, having a separate flag for it
is fine. :)

cheers and thanks for the patch.

a.

--