[pass] prevent generating over existing

Brian Mattern rephorm at rephorm.com
Wed Dec 19 20:49:26 CET 2012

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 4:46 AM, Roman Shtylman <shtylman at gmail.com> wrote:
> The first line thing is tempting, but it might be a bit overkill with
> complexity. There ought to be an easier way of generating / editing
> things though at once. I suppose what you could do is just use
>
> $ pass edit blah/blah
>
> Which will open things in VIM and handle secure encryption/decryption
> in ram. And then just use pwgen to generate the password manually. Not
> perfect, but it works.

Although "dd:0r! pwgen -sy 12 1" isn't too bad for switching out the first
line with a new password, it might be convenient to have a "generate
password, but only store it on the clipboard. then edit this file" command.

Alternatively one could write their own "porcelain" wrapper around pass
that can handle more complicated things involving the internal structure
of the password files. (e.g., this case or previously requested desire
for usernames and urls stored in password files).

That way pass doesn't become overly complex, or make many
assumptions about the contents of the stored files.

Brian