[pass] Fwd: Unit tests for pass

milki milki at rescomp.berkeley.edu
Tue Oct 2 23:13:12 CEST 2012

On 21:35 Tue 02 Oct     , Dmitry Medvinsky wrote:
> Still, if you plan to do some major changes, you might want to
> consider including some functional tests. You know, to be sure you
> maintain backwards compatibility for all the flags and stuff. Unless
> you don't want to maintain it, of course.
>
> As for *unit* testing, there really isn't much to test in the script. :-)
>
> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 9:28 PM, Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason at zx2c4.com> wrote:
> > For a 300 line shell script, including a massive testing framework sounds
> > like overzealous bloat to me.

I would agree that unit testing isn't necessary. And certainly a massive
testing framework isn't needed to test the script. However, I do agree
that functional/regression tests are needed to test expected behaviour.
It doesn't need to be complicted. It doesn't need to be part of
distribution packages. It would put some people at ease knowing that the
script works and has the required dependencies and versions installed.

--
milki