[pass] symmetric key encryption

milki milki at rescomp.berkeley.edu
Tue Oct 16 01:57:29 CEST 2012

On 20:17 Mon 15 Oct     , ROGERIO DE CARVALHO BASTOS wrote:
> Quoting milki <milki at rescomp.berkeley.edu>:
>
> > On 17:01 Mon 15 Oct     , ROGERIO DE CARVALHO BASTOS wrote:
> >> Hi guys,
> >>
> >> Can I use symmetric key encryption with 'pass' ?
> >> I think this improve mobilite because I can store my passwords in a
> >> flash and use another machines.
> >
> > pass uses gpg, which does handle symmetric keys.
>
> Can you exemplify?

$ man gpg

[snip]

       --symmetric

       -c     Encrypt with a symmetric cipher using a passphrase. The  default
              symmetric  cipher  used  is  CAST5,  but  may be chosen with the
              --cipher-algo option. This option may be  combined  with  --sign
              (for  a  signed  and symmetrically encrypted message), --encrypt
              (for a message that may be decrypted  via  a  secret  key  or  a
              passphrase), or --sign and --encrypt together (for a signed mes
              sage that may be decrypted via a secret key or a passphrase).

[/snip]

I don't quite understand why you can't do this yourself.

--
milki