[pass] problems with gpg and password store

Brian McCallister brianm at skife.org
Tue Oct 16 20:02:48 CEST 2012

password store seems to be refusing to acknowledge that I own my key, I think.

given:

brianm at kite:~$ gpg2 -K
/Users/brianm/.gnupg/secring.gpg
--------------------------------
sec   1024D/F8EA2967 2003-02-16
uid                  Brian McCallister <brianm at apache.org>
uid                  Brian McCallister (Personal Email) <brian at skife.org>
ssb   1024g/C42453AD 2003-02-16

brianm at kite:~$ pass init brianm at apache.org
Password store initialized for brianm at apache.org.
brianm at kite:~$ pass insert test/hello
Enter password for test/hello: world
gpg: C42453AD: There is no assurance this key belongs to the named user
gpg: [stdin]: encryption failed: Unusable public key
brianm at kite:~$

I certainly have the key, have the private key, and have signed my
key. It seems to be getting angry when it tries to use the subkey (
C42453AD ).

I have tried initializing with the key id as well ( F8EA2967 ) and
even with the subkey ( C42453AD ), but I get the same exact error,
regardless.

Any suggestions on how to clear this up?

-Brian