[pass] Fwd: Darwin ramdisk

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Sat Sep 15 01:29:11 CEST 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 3:16 AM, rupa <rupa at lrrr.us> wrote:
> Looks OK to me. No real ideas on how to do it better, sorry.

Dear Rupa,

So I tried to include the patch as an inline patch in the homebrew
formula. The homebrew people flipped out and a minor flamewar ensued,
and the idea was engulfed in fire and quickly burned to a char.

So now, I'm including the darwin ramdisk in a patch inside of the
contrib directory [1]. I'm still reluctant to merge it with the actual
code because it's way too platform specific (whereas everything else
in the program fits a GNU standard or a POSIX standard, even /dev/shm,
which HURD also provides...). So for now, it will live as a patch
there. Unless someone has a better idea.

It would be really nice if you'd be able to maintain this patch, and
also, if you're up for it, take over packaging of the Mac homebrew
stuff. As I'm a mac guy, it's a bit ridiculous for me to be doing that
myself, but you seem super competent with mac stuff, and I'd be
honored, if you're willing, to let you take over that. For that
mac-specific patch, I can probably give you commit access to the repo,
if you're into it.

Bumping the homebrew formula usually just involves changing the
filename in this rb file [2] and updating the sha256. Pretty simple.

Let me know if you're interested; it would be a huge help for me, and
shouldn't be very hard nor burdensome.

Thanks,
Jason

[1] http://git.zx2c4.com/password-store/tree/contrib/osx-ramdisk.patch