[pass] FreeBSD Platform File

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Sun Sep 23 06:19:45 CEST 2012

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 6:15 AM, milki <milki at rescomp.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> On 05:47 Sun 23 Sep     , Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> Unfortunately, freebsd has no way of making an equivalent ramdisk
> without root priveleges. I'm thinking of writing an init script for
> contrib, but that would still require an admin to install it. From
> there, then it would be equivalent to just checking if RAMDISK_DEV
> exists or not, just like the linux version.

Don't sweat it about the ram disk. Just don't define the tmpdir()
function in freebsd.sh, and it will fall back to warning the user
about lack of /dev/shm. An init script is overkill for a simple
password manager, but as a separate thing, it could be nice to say
"hey FreeBSD users -- want /dev/shm like linux? check this out", and
then provide the script. Keeping it in /dev/shm is nice because then
there's compatibility.

Anyway, the things that freebsd.sh needs are:

- clip() You can probably copy the Linux one, changing usage of base64
to "openssl base64", or whatever else freebsd provides
- proper path to GNU getopt
- Anything else you think should be overridden

Hopefully this keeps the number of ports patches you have to ship.