[pass] I surrender!

Matthew King mking at monnsta.net
Mon Dec 16 08:15:30 CET 2013

(I haven't used mailing lists in an age and a half and initially hit reply
without paying attention)

When you run pass init "foo", it will put the text "foo" (minus quotes) in
the .gpg-id (I think) file contained in the root of the password store.
Later on when a password is added, it will attempt to run something by
including the contents of this file along the lines of:

    echo "$new_password" | gpg --encrypt --recipient "foo"

This is the command which is failing, because your foo is " Password
Storage Key" (the $a432 is expanded to null because of the $ in
double-quotes) and GPG doesn't know who that is. It should be a GPG ID,
which looks like "95EE2CDA39DAC462" or "39DAC462".

You will need to create a GPG key, as has been mentioned, and put the key's
ID in the quotes in your init command, not your storage password.

Matthew