[pass] Feature requests: scrypt key derivation / salts

Jonas Wagner j.b.w at gmx.ch
Sat Dec 28 09:17:49 CET 2013

Hi,

> I am against implementing any cryptography in-house. We are not
> cryptography experts.

This makes sense. Probably the functionality could be (or is) built into
GPG? I read in the documentation that there are several "string-to-key"
functions for converting passphrases to encryption keys. There is an
iterated variant, but I don't know whether it is being used and how the
iteration count is being determined. I might ask on GPG's mailing list.

- OpenPGP uses hybrid encryption, and the symmetric key will be
>   different each time;
> - GPG uses a random IV.

Great, thanks! Indeed the files seem to change if I save them without
modification.

Cheers,
Jonas