[pass] Multiple Users & Multiple Password Stores

Chris Down chris at chrisdown.name
Fri Oct 11 19:48:58 CEST 2013

On 2013-10-11 10:13, Kevin Crawford wrote:
> Are there any recommended multi-user workflows for pass, using Git?

Well, first of all, you should really be keeping totally separate Git
repositories. I assume you're already using multiple system users to represent
different real users on your system, so this should be easy enough.

Otherwise, you can always use different branches to store different users'
passwords. But seriously, don't do that. Just use different Git repositories.
Anything else sucks. Really.

> And secondly, is it possible to keep multiple password stores (e.g.,
> one for work, and one for personal use)? One idea that comes to mind
> is adding /personal to .gitignore, and initializing a separate repo
> inside of that directory. But would this work with pass's automated
> git commands?

If you really want to do that, you would use a git submodule, which is
basically what you just asked to do (except for it's built into git, and isn't
nearly as hacky as what was proposed). I think using a git submodule in this
case is just overengineering, though.

I would suggest either using a naming scheme like p/foo/bar and w/foo/bar, or
using multiple branches. It's easy enough to run "pass git checkout work".