[pass] There is no assurance this key belongs to the named user

Nathan Typanski mail at nathantypanski.com
Wed Apr 16 00:05:22 CEST 2014

On 04/15, Roman Valls wrote:
> $ pass generate social/quora.com 14 -c
> gpg: 92EB4184: There is no assurance this key belongs to the named user
> gpg: [stdin]: encryption failed: Unusable public key
> Copied social/quora.com to clipboard. Will clear in 45 seconds.

This is a trust issue. You're encrypting some generated bytes to the
public key of a person, but your keyring does not know whether or not
it can trust the person to whom you are encrypting these bytes.

It might be your own public key that we are talking about, but GnuPG
does not know any better; it is as good as any public key unless you
have it marked as trust.

Check out [1] for a description of GnuPG's trust model. Usually you
want full trust for your own keys, but this can change depending on
your specific security situation and use case.

[1]: <http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual/x334.html>

        Nathan