[pass] Pass on Maemo

Adam Wellings skanky at kapin.co.uk
Fri Apr 18 20:41:16 CEST 2014

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014, Matthieu Weber wrote:

>On Thu 17.04.2014 at 11:05:02PM +0100, Adam Wellings wrote:
>> I'm just wondering if anyone has used pass on Maemo (Nokia n900) or similar?
>
>I am using pass on a n900 (although not very often).

Thanks - at least I have a target. :)

>> I've installed it and hit a couple of issues and I've initially worked
>> round a couple of them, but before I get too far down the line, I just
>> wondered if there's a better way.
>>
>> 1) Pass calls gpg2, whereas gpg on Maemo is gpg. Initially I edited
>> the script to change the calls to gpg - but when I resolve the other
>> issues, I'll reinstall pass and instead set-up a link to from gpg2 to
>> gpg.
>
>I hacked pass to change gpg2 to gpg and remove the --batch option. Since
>then, pass 1.5 came out and detects if you have gpg2 or only gpg.

I hadn't tried removing the --batch option. Which I had.

>> 2) mkdir in busybox doesn't support the -v option. I've manually
>> removed this option from the script. Again, I may instead set-up a
>> different resolution. I'll probably wrap mkdir with a a function that
>> "eats" the option.
>
>Good point, I didn't even remember doing that too. But since -v is not
>essential, I don't really care :)

The only issue is I think -v is not always first. Doesn't make eating it
impossible, just harder. If/when I get it sorted, I'll post the function here.
It might be a few days though.

>> 3) Pass now encrypts no problem, but when it decrypts it calls gpg,
>> which calls gpg-agent but that returns an error that it can't
>> execute pinentry. That error
>> message is very generic but *suggests* it can't find pinentry.
>>
>> "can't connect to the PIN entry module: End of file"
>>
>> I can run pinentry manually.
>>
>> I realise this isn't gpg list and I'll ask on there if I can't resolve it but I
>> wondered if anyone else had seen this.
>
>Removing the --batch option and using gpg instead of gpg2 removes the
>need for pinentry. Since there is no gpg-agent in maemo, I have gpg
>asking me straight on the terminal for my passphrase, everytime it is
>needed.

I found gpg-agent and pinentry in one of the repos - might have been a dev one,
I didn't look to see where they were. The pinentry works when run manually, but
gpg-agent is having trouble callling it. I might just ditch it though,
especially if 1.5 removes the need for --batch.

>> Also, if I don't use gpg-agent (and after the above error) I get an error
>> message from gpg saying it can't ask for the passphrase in batch mode. I'm
>> tempted to remove the batch option from pass on the phone.
>
>As Jason mentioned in his answer, pass 1.5 solves the gpg2/gpg problem,
>the need for pinentry and the absence of gpg-agent. The only thing that
>remains to be hacked in maemo is the mkdir -v option.

Great. Hopefully in the next day or few I'll get 1.5 installed, remove gpg-agent
and write the function to eat the -v option. I'll post back here when I get some
progress (very busy with real life at the moment, but should get time on Tuesday
if not before).

Many thanks for the answers, all.

Cheers,
Adam