[pass] copying usernames and urls

Alfredo Pironti alfredo at pironti.eu
Tue Apr 29 15:59:33 CEST 2014

One current feature of pass is being agnostic to the user data format. Such
proposal changes this. Advantages are better handling of user data (e.g.
copy username, copy password, etc), disadvantages are somewhat a loss of
generality for what can be stored. Now, since pass is meant to be a
password manager, maybe the loss of generality is not a big deal.

Anyone using pass in such a way that a data-format of <key>:<value> is
annoying? Otherwise, one has to think about a configuration file where the
format itself is stored: e.g. describing allowed key names, and the type of
the value, so that secret passwords can be displayed differently from
usernames -- say, copied to clipboard by default -- and differently from
timestamps. But this adds a lot whole of complexity, which may not be worth
it.

Cheers,
Alfredo