[pass] copying usernames and urls

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Wed Apr 30 04:23:18 CEST 2014

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 4:17 AM, Matthew Cengia <mattcen at gmail.com> wrote:

> The reason for pass's elegance, in my opinion, is its simplicity. When I
> started using pass 8 months ago, it was 400 lines long. Now, only 8
> months later, it's close to 600 lines.

It is a damn shame. Fortunately, I've spent a lot of time reworking the
code so that it's really modular. If you just delete all of cmd_find or
cmd_grep or whatever else, things just go on working. But yes, I have the
same sentiment as you. I basically considered it "finished" after 1.4.2,
but people on the list kept demanding and articles and reviews and things
got written, and people wanted some bells and whistles, especially team
pass. So after months of not really caring, I finally gave them what they
wanted, and in the process made the code a lot more neat. So the result is
that the latest pass is the most "correct" and "clean" version yet, but it
does have ~200 more lines of bells and whistles.

When I first started using pass, I could basically read through the code
> in 1 sitting, and understand most or all of what it was doing. It's
> getting to the point that is no longer possible just due to the sheer
> size of the codebase. I think that pass has been a severe victim of
> feature-creep of late.

Yes, and things are slowing down for that exact reason. However, the code
is now *much* more readable than it was prior, in spite of having grown a
bit. It's still very readable in one sitting.

Grab a copy of clip() out of pass if you like, so that you've got the
> fancy 45-second delay etc., but please don't pollute the core pass
> codebase anymore, particularly for something as trivial as this that can
> be done as a filter, exactly the way the Unix philosophy intended it to
> be!

Did you see my post on this thread about just doing that with the
filesystem? That's what the FS is there for, imho. I'm unlikely to merge
something that does ridiculous parsing, without some really clean and crisp
argumentation. I haven't read that on this thread yet.