[pass] Problems with ‘pass grep’ and symbolic links

Allan Odgaard lists+pass at simplit.com
Thu Jul 3 19:12:50 CEST 2014

My ~/.password-store is a symbolic link pointing to a shared folder.

The ‘pass grep’ command fails in this scenario since ‘find’ does
not traverse symbolic links by default.

To support this setup one can use the ‘-L’ option when calling
‘find’.

By experimentation I have discovered that ending the search path with a
slash, e.g. "${PREFIX}/", will also make it work. But I do not see this
documented, so it’s probably not something that we should rely on
(unless someone can point to where it’s documentated as standard
behavior).

Also, ‘pass grep’ fails if gpg-agent does not alrady have the key.
Presumably because asking for passphrase requires a tty but GPG is
called in a “pipe” context — is this issue Mac/BSD-specific? Using
gpg (GnuPG) 2.0.25.