[pass] xdotool dmenu

Ryan Delaney ryan.delaney at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 05:57:32 CEST 2014

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 11:53:47PM +0200, Christoph Egger wrote:
> Ryan Delaney <ryan.delaney at gmail.com> writes:
> > Nice work. I've been working on something similar, though I haven't integrated
> > dmenu yet. This gave me some ideas. :)
> >
> > One question. I've been having issues with passwords that contain
> > non-alphanumeric characters: xdotool seems to simply skip them rather than type
> > them, unless given an xkeysym string. Have you encountered that issue? Any
> > workaround?
>
> Seems to just work (tm) here (quotes, braces and all kinds of stuff).
>
>   Christoph
>
> --
> 9FED 5C6C E206 B70A 5857  70CA 9655 22B9 D49A E731
> Debian Developer | Lisp Hacker | CaCert Assurer

Well what do you know? It works for me too. Looks like another advantage of
your method (on top of not leaking the password through the process list) is
that now xdotool can type passwords with special characters. Sure beats the
hack I had worked out using tmpfs and a lot of paranoia about making sure I
cleaned up the temp files. Now to build in dmenu :-)

--
Regards,
Ryan Delaney