[pass] Allow multiple GPG keys

Michael Howe michael at michaelhowe.org
Fri Mar 7 20:28:46 CET 2014

Hello,

> On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 3:24 PM, Matthew Cengia <mattcen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Attached is a patch that allows you to encrypt your password store with
>> multiple GPG keys, such as in the case where you wanted to allow work
>> colleagues to access your passwords for customer systems, or allow your
>> partner access to your passwords in case of an emergency.
>
> Hi,
> I can already do this by defining a group in gpg.conf, e.g.
>
>     group pass=0x12345678 0x23456789 ...
>
> What is gained by adding this functionality directly to pass?

Having it managed by git.  The obvious use-case here being for shared
password storage for a team, where you want to ensure that adding a new
key (or removing an old one) means everyone's config is updated
automatically.  Relying on individuals to update their gpg.conf files
manually in that situation is going to go wrong sooner or later.

Best wishes,

Michael