[pass] GPG Compression and Authenticity

Siim Põder siim at p6drad-teel.net
Wed Mar 19 08:15:51 CET 2014

Hi

Good to hear that pass is getting some auditing attention :)

I'm struggling to find a situation where signing would help significantly. If an attacker can modify the store, they will be able to deny you access to any of the passwords. In which case would it be more useful for them to provide a wrong password? For a social engineering attack? To get an account to lock?

It also seems that it would be somewhat rare to have a pass repo that is *pulled* from as this is the only case I can think of where this attack isn't shadowed by a complete compromise:
1) Changed repo contents do end up being queried (on a different machine)
2) Attacker can't just snoop on local gpg invocations (there aren't any)

With this in mind (unless there is a more serious threat I'm overlooking or a dead-simple fix in pass) your suggestion sounds appropriate.

Siim Põder