[pass] copying usernames and urls

Brian Shore brian at networkredux.com
Fri May 2 00:15:50 CEST 2014

On Apr 30, 2014 12:31 AM, "Matthieu Weber" <mweber at free.fr> wrote:
> I would even go further, as I explained elsewhere already: remove from
> pass the capability to copy stuff to the clipboard and the capability to
> generate a password, and delegate this to a frontend (I'm not sure what
> to do with the edit feature, it doesn't belong in this core-pass, but I
> would still keep it as an emergency-repair tool). Just keep the
> encryption and file-manipulation features (including git): pass thus
> becomes a tool that manipulates files, shows the content of a file,
> and allows to replace the whole content of a file at once, wihtout
> making *any* kind of assumption about its content. For real, this time.

I don't have that thread in front of me, so I'll hijack this one.  We could
make it very easy to extend pass with external tools by copying git -- any
subcommand (cp, mv, find, etc) that isn't in the core is sought in the PATH
as pass-$subcommand.  So if you want a "pass find" command, just create a
script named pass-find somewhere in your $ PATH.

We can share info like the prefix by exporting to the environment. We keep
the core small, we get a consistent interface.

--
brian
(via mobile)