[pass] copying usernames and urls

Brian Shore brian at networkredux.com
Wed May 7 17:12:47 CEST 2014

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 7:45 PM, John Fetsko <john at fetsko.net> wrote:
> You guys made some compelling arguments for keeping pass simple. I also see
> that pass has a lot of potential for growth. It makes me nervous when I hear
> talk of taking features away.  What if a GUI fails? Pass will still have a
> simple CLI, right?

I don't think anyone is advocating completely eliminating
functionality, rather relocating some things out of the core into
auxiliary scripts that complement the core.  For example, taking
things like find, mv, and cp out of the core pass script and putting
them into other scripts, keeping the core simple and format-agnostic.

So yes, if a GUI fails, you should still have complete CLI
functionality.  Similarly, if, due to oversight, an upgrade to core
broke compatibility with an auxiliary script you use, the core is
still there, you can still do things manually without convenience
scripts.  In fact, with pass' simple initial design, you can still
work with the GPG files directly if for any reason pass can't do what
you want to do.

--
Brian Shore
Senior Systems Engineer, Security Architect