[pass] pass grep doesn't spawn pinentry dialog when no cached password is available in gpg-agent

nfb notfreebeer at openmailbox.org
Wed Nov 26 02:13:39 CET 2014

Hi everyone,
it's relatively short time i'm using password-store and i really like its
flexibility and reliability. I think one of the best password-manager concept
and implementation which could be thought... nice!
It's the first time i write on this list and i just subscribed, so sorry if i'm
doing something wrong.

I'm using pass on Debian jessie/testing, which provides the version 1.6.3.
The problem i'm facing (and i don't know if it's a misconfiguration of mine, in
which case i apologize and ask you to be patient :) ) comes using the grep
command when there is a gpg-agent instance running, but no cached password
available, either because it was never entered or because it expired.
To reproduce it suffices to me to start the agent and run:

$ pass grep "some_string"

(or wait the already cached password to expire according to *cache-ttl gpg-agent
options and their default values)

What i get is:

$ pass grep "some_string"
gpg: problem with the agent: Line passed to IPC too long
gpg: decryption failed: No secret key
gpg: problem with the agent: Line passed to IPC too long
gpg: decryption failed: No secret key
^C
gpg: signal Interrupt caught ... exiting

which i have to brutally stop like this since it seems to go on forever.

My question is: is there a reason why the grep command doesn't spawn the
pinentry dialog like, for example, the show command does when no password is
available to the agent? I guess this is the point...
Ah, if this could be of some interest too in order to troubleshoot the issue,
i'm using pinentry-curses package from the debian testing repositories.
I've tried to understand what the error could be, going through the
documentation of gpg, but probably i'm missing something.
Hope someone here could have an enlighting answer.

If additional informations are needed let me know.

Thanks for your time.