[pass] Git Submodules

Christoph Egger christoph at christoph-egger.org
Wed Oct 22 01:50:10 CEST 2014

Hi!

George Angelopoulos <george at usermod.net> writes:
> The only disadvantage I see in this is that it requires git, which is
> otherwise optional. But if you're doing collaborative management, you're
> probably using git.
>
> On 10/21/2014 06:50 AM, Kyle Marek-Spartz wrote:
>> I saw the recent/ongoing thread about multiple password stores and
>> wanted to share how I just set mine up. I have a separate gpg key and
>> git repositories for my work and my personal accounts. I pull them in as
>> submodules of my git repository for this computer's password-store. I
>> could theoretically create a shared password store by creating a shared
>> gpg key and setting a .gpg-id key for another submodule. The only
>> drawback is the prefix for the password lookup, e.g. `pass my/password`
>> and `pass work/password`. I think I prefer this approach to the
>> switching multiple accounts since it is not modal. Are other people
>> using submodules to manage multiple password stores or shared
>> repositories?

Jah, we're using it that way as well (several people here sharing a
'work' pass and having private ones next to it.

Unfortunately `pass git` doesn't really work for submodule operations --
seems you need to be in ~/.password-store for git to do submodule
operations.

  Christoph

--
9FED 5C6C E206 B70A 5857  70CA 9655 22B9 D49A E731
Debian Developer | Lisp Hacker | CaCert Assurer