[pass] feature [--clip,-c] <store> [n]

James Wald james.wald at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 05:38:18 CEST 2014

Maybe I use pass differently than most users, but I create separate names
for every password (e.g. user, url, etc.) and keep them organized by path.

me/example.com/username
me/example.com/password
me/example.com/security/1/question
me/example.com/security/1/answer

I haven't found a need to create compound pass entries, but I admit that
this may require a bit more effort when accessing many passwords. It might
be nice if 'pass me/example.com' could output all of the passwords under
that path.

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 5:23 PM, JD <jdankoba at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi. Since we're back to brainstorming, may I add one more idea?
>
> My ideal interface would clip the top [n] lines in reverse order and then
> paste them one at a time.  Pass would pause for 45 seconds and detect
> pastes from either middle-clicks or other pasting key commands before
> continuing. Nicolas S. Dade did something similar in his *pwsafe*
> project, using the standard Unix tools *xev* and *awk*.
>
> It might look like this:
>
> pass [--clip,-c] <store> [n]
>
> pass -c <store> 3
> Ready to paste line 3 from clipboard. Will clear in 45 seconds.
> Sending line 3
> Ready to paste line 2 from clipboard. Will clear in 45 seconds.
> Sending line 2
> Ready to paste line 1 from clipboard. Will clear in 45 seconds.
> Sending line 1
>
> Flexible. I might use line three for url, line two for login and line 1
> for password. But, you would be free to use it differently. It should add
> utility without taking away from other user interfaces. What do you say, is
> this pass "kernel" material?
>
> Logging into a site could be as easy as: middle-click, middle-click,
> [enter]
>
> JD

James