[pass] feature [--clip,-c] <store> [n]

JD jdankoba at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 02:01:46 CEST 2014

Good feedback James. Last week, I gave your pass-store organization method
a try and I noticed a number of advantages, particularly with contextual
searches. If anyone is interested, I'll write up a detailed comparison for
another thread. Suffice it to say, If we move forward with a xclip loop on
detect mouse click feature as previously described, I'll also vote for
compatibility.

Compatible version.

pass [--clip,-c] <store> [n]

if <store> is a file then output [n] lines
if <store> is a folder then output [n] 1st lines (order to be determined)

my desired output for [n] of:
3 = www,user,pass
2 = user,pass
1 = pass

My folder example happens to be in reverse alphabetical order, which keeps
with the tail or tac mindset. If you don't want to use this feature nothing
changes.

pass [--clip,-c] <store> [n]

pass -c example 3
Ready to paste entry 3 from clipboard. Will clear in 45 seconds.
Sending entry 3
Ready to paste entry 2 from clipboard. Will clear in 45 seconds.
Sending entry 2
Ready to paste entry 1 from clipboard. Will clear in 45 seconds.
Sending entry 1

You can even mix organization methods. So if your in the process of
reorganizing your pass-store, no breakage.

Why is this feature needed? It's faster than using pass twice while being
more secure than passff's fill. By trusting the browser less you help to
avoid iframe attacks and mitigate your exposure to snooping browser
extensions. As a bonus, it works with any browser. Run pass once, click
click, click, your in. This is the best combination of convenience and
security, I know. It works well in pwsafe, so I know it's possible.

pass blah | while read line; do xclip -l 1 -selection clipboard -quiet
<<<"$line"; done

Setting this feature to wait 45 sec for a key-press inside the terminal is
simple, but it would be neat to detect mouse click outside the terminal.
I'm not sure how to do this in bash, so here is an reference using *xev*
written in C++.

link to code from pwsafe: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pwsafe/
I'm not an expert in C++ but I'm willing to learn if that is what it takes.