[pass] Signed .gpg-id file

Lenz Weber mail at lenzw.de
Sat Aug 22 00:31:33 CEST 2015

Hmm..

It's a bit too complicated, but a good idea.

I'd look at it from another point of view:

In most use cases, a password-store will not have dozens of folders with
different .gpg-ids.

Usually it's more like

|- .gpg-id
|- work/
| | - .gpg-id
| | - work-pw1
| | - work-pw2
| | - work-pw3
|- other-shared-folder/
| | - .gpg-id
| | - sharedpw1
|- private folder a
|- private folder b

So in the end, there might be three or four .gpg-id folders.
Even if there are more, most likely the user does not commit to all of
those folders, but some folders are just synced towards him.

Which means, he maybe commits to about one to three folders with
different .gpg-ids

Why not let the user just sign those himself?

The script just checks if the signature has ultimate trust (which in gpg
means: the key is your own) and is happy with it.

If a user writes to many folders with .gpg-ids, he most likely is an
admin. In that case, he would have to sign everything, but that's just
the same as with your proposal.

Regards,
Lenz