[pass] Identifying Old Passwords

Paul Schwendenman schwendenman.paul at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 03:28:31 CEST 2015

Hi All:

I was wondering how you identify passwords that haven't been changed in a
while.

Maybe someone has a better solution but this is what I came up with:

git ls-tree -r HEAD --name-only -z | xargs -0 -n1 -I{} sh -c 'echo {}; \
   git log -n1 --format="%at:%ar" -- {}' | paste - - -d: | sort -k 2 -t: | \
   cut -d: -f1,3- | column -t -s:

My solution is mildly naive because it doesn't look for changes to the
first line, which is where passwords are normally stored.  But for my use I
think it does the job.

Is this a feature that people might want built in to pass? If so, I would
be willing to try making and submitting a patch. Also I would enjoy any
feedback you might have.

Thanks for reading,
Paul