[pass] Exporting data from password store

Dahlberg, David david.dahlberg at fkie.fraunhofer.de
Mon Jun 22 11:27:48 CEST 2015

Am Montag, den 22.06.2015, 17:06 +0800 schrieb Pickfire:

> I want to export data for backup

Just backup your "$HOME/.passwordstore" directory.

> and import from `pass` next time and

Copy the backup back into place.

> I want to change the gpg key for pass.

$ pass init key-id

> I hope that the README shows the way to export `pass` data and not
> only
> how to import it.

The documentation explains quite well, how "pass" is working and where
the files are stored. The format is dead easy, which is IMHO one of the
great features of the password store.

Even if Jason would suddenly decide to discontinue the project and even
if all existing copies would suddenly magically disappear. Or if all
you have available is a "strange", "unsupported" platform like IOS,
Android or Windows. You will always be able to read edit and manage
your keys by hand, as long as you have (a) file system and (b) an
OpenPGP implementation.

--
David Dahlberg

Fraunhofer FKIE, Dept. Communication Systems (KOM) | Tel: +49-228-9435-845
Fraunhoferstr. 20, 53343 Wachtberg, Germany        | Fax: +49-228-856277