[pass] shared password store

Jan Kowalsky jankow at datenkollektiv.net
Tue Jun 30 15:42:39 CEST 2015

Hi Matthieu,

Am 30.06.2015 um 15:05 schrieb CircleCode:
> what would be the better way to share a common password store, say for
> example for an association?
>
> we can use the git repo, but what about the use of multiple gpg keys (or is
> it better to share a common key?)?

I'd recommend multiple gpg-keys while this is more transparent. It's
even possible to use different settings for the gpg-ids depending on the
folder.

> as an additional question, how can I easily switch between my personal
> store and the so-created shared store? Can I, for example, make the shared
> store a submodule of my private one, or is it better to create an alias for
> each store that would change env vars?

I do it like this:

export PASSWORD_STORE_DIR=$HOME/.password-store/private

Now you can use pass like you're used to be - only with an specific
directory. The only difference is: you need two leading slashes

  pass show //SUBFOLDER/test -c

This works also with different git configurations inside the folders:

export PASSWORD_STORE_DIR=$HOME/.password-store/private
pass git push

I have some entries in my .bash_aliases

    # aliases for the different pathes of password store "pass"
    alias pass-private='export
PASSWORD_STORE_DIR=$HOME/.password-store/privat'
    alias pass-orga1='export PASSWORD_STORE_DIR=$HOME/.password-store/orga1'
    alias pass-orga2='export PASSWORD_STORE_DIR=$HOME/.password-store/orga2'
    alias pass-reset='export PASSWORD_STORE_DIR=$HOME/.password-store/'

Kind Regards
Jan